Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Portland for a minute











Originally I had planned to stay around Portland for a few days. I wanted to enjoy some of the great restaurants there. As it turns out the weather was not going to cooperate and I just hated the idea of being trapped in the bus. Camping in the rain is a bummer at best. I was able to visit with family and had lunch with a old friend. and then with reluctance, as i just did not feel like driving. I headed down the road. I had plans to get to the coast. Just what I would do at the coast besides look at the wind blown surf. I don't know.The wind was blowing so bad it made the trip very tedious. I exited at a small town in the woods off I 5 called Drain. I traveled about 2 miles west and ran into a wall of water. As it was dusk already I scraped the sense of adventure and just turned around. I spent most of the day trying to figure out a way to shorten the distances to travel. Traveling just a little further south I was in Grants Pass Or. at around




830 pm. There I lucked into some of the best all time Mexican food.




The long and short of it is that I headed south and after just one more rest stop. I found my way home. Even though there has been no real time change for me I still feel a little jet lagged. It is nice to be here.




There is a little let down that I am not out there pissin people of with my 60 miles an hour top speed. Its not that the blue bomb won`t go any faster its just that that is what felt like the right speed. I met a guy driving his Vanagon from Vermont at a gas station in Oregon. His top speed was 59-62 and I said that he should be able to do better than that. With the load he had that his car was happy right there. So I guess that what I am getting at is that it takes what it takes. It was fun to share my trip with you all. I do recommend getting out and rolling around to see what there may be to see. And especially in a Old VW Bus. There are so many conversations that would have been lost if I was in the Benz.




For me the trip is all about the people. All the places are still there and will be there after we are long gone. We are a fleeting moment in time. I promise that I am gonna do fun shit.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Todd!
    Keep in touch w ur groopies!
    Michael in Houston...actually on my way to NSB and Im going to take surfing lessons!
    Ill be coming to Palo Alto to see my little girl around Halloween.
    Im sure ur happy to be home!
    michael.jacobson50@yahoo.com
    KIT
    Michael

    ReplyDelete