Saturday, September 12, 2009

Finally out of Florida
















I finally made a big push to get out of Florida. My time spent there was good to catch up but the surf was a real bust. After St. Auggies I headed to a Small town called Surf City North Carolina. I did my first urban stealth camp right in the parking lot of the fishing pier. Fishing is huge her and there are fisherman coming and going all night . Fairly busy place and it was easy to blend in, sort of. The blue bomb with Ca. plates is a little conspicuous as if I need to say. I pulled in there around 130 am and just couldn't justify the coin for a room or a camp site. Who knows where the campground is anyway. The next morning I was able to get some small clean waves. After the all time worst breakfast at the all time dirtiest greasy spoon. I was under way for the outer banks ferries. It seemed like a long day of travel. I got to the ferry terminal and I had no reservation. Luck was with me and I boarded the 2 o'clock and connected a few minutes later with the second ferry boat. At the terminal I met a couple of fellow VW bus folks and after 4 hours of visiting on the boat ride we caravaned to the KOA campground on the outer banks. It wasn't what I had planned but after the first nit and a couple of real waves I decide to spend the rest of this swell right here.
It was really great having somebody else to camp with . Arron and Ashley are fron Erie Pa. No two nicer people. Of course they are Bus people. True VW folks Ashley drives a new beetle and Arrons daily is a Golf. Then he has 2 Busses. A man after my own heart. They left today for the north.
Saturday morning was proof that I was woefully under gunned. So I had to make due with surfing Just the slightly overhead hucking barrels on offer today. What a wave! Just like the magazines.
Back in Surf City the best waves are next to the pier, of course, but surfing within 300 ft. of the pier can result in 50-500. dollar fine. And if you surf you must wear a leash. How strange is that. Fortunately for me it was just a get wet and go session. The locals are mellow and one guy even gave me the lowdown on the route here. Thanks Joe. I am gonna shut up for now. I am having power issues so sorry no pics

No comments:

Post a Comment